Circumnavigating Iceland - The Land of Elves, Sagas and Volcanoes (Itinerary 1)
Wilderness and Viking History
Experience the best of Iceland on our expedition cruise around the North Atlantic island nation. Our extensive voyage takes you to see a large variety of fascinating nature, wildlife and settlements.
The westen region of Iceland features spectacular scenery and is home to thrilling Viking sagas, a key part of Icelandic mythology. A highlight in the west is the Westfjords, a spectacular nature reserve where teeming bird cliffs are in abundance.
Lava and Whales
As sail north, scout for whales, as the landscape changes into vast lava fields and volcanic mountains. Grimsey is where the Arctic Circle touches Iceland, and we make sure to cross the legendary boundary before heading south towards the eastern part of the country.
Along the east coast, the nature changes again. Now we encounter thick forests, lush farmlands and colorful fishing villages. Whales and other wildlife might be spotted as we sail south towards the region’s remakable volcanic islands, while our expedtion team entertains you with the rich stories and sagas of the Vestmannaeyr.
Join us on this voyage of discovery and adventure and stay a few extra days to discover the many attractions in Reykjavik!
- Explore mystical Iceland – the land of fire and ice
- See fascinating nature with waterfalls, volcanoes and glaciers side by side
- Experience a bird and whale watching paradise
- Discover the entirety of Iceland´s coast
- Expedition cruise in a cabin of your choice
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner including beverages (house beer and wine, sodas, and mineral water) in restaurants Aune and Fredheim
- À la carte restaurant Lindstrøm included for suite guests
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on board. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- Complimentary reusable water bottle to use at water refill stations on board
- English-speaking Expedition Team who organize and accompany activities onboard and ashore
- Range of included excursions
- Experts on the Expedition Team deliver in-depth lectures on a variety of topics
- Use of the ship’s Science Center, which has an extensive library and advanced biological and geological microscopes
- Citizen Science program allows guests to assist with live scientific research
- Professional onboard photographer gives top tips and tricks for the best landscape and wildlife photos
- Use of the ship’s hot tubs, panoramic sauna, outdoor and indoor gyms, and outdoor running track
- Informal gatherings with the crew such as daily recaps and preparation for the day to come
- Escorted landingswith small expedition boats while in Iceland
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and all equipment for activities
- Complimentary wind and water-resistant expedition jacket
- Expedition Photographers help with your camera settings before landings
- International flights
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group activities with our Expedition Team
- Optional treatments in the wellness and spa area
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Excursions and activities are subject to change
- Please ensure you meet all visa entry requirements
- No gratuities expected
Arriving in Iceland - Reykjavik - Embarkation
Many visitors find landing at Keflavik airport enchanting. The hub seems carved out of an arctic desert, with moss-covered lava rock and haunting mountains nearby. But just 45 minutes away is Reykjavík, a charming, vibrant and modern city, offering top restaurants, interesting museums and quaint narrow streets.
Welcome to Sagaland - Stykkishólmur - Full Day
The friendly town of Stykkishólmur features beautiful, well-preserved old houses and is surrounded by wonderful scenery. Enjoy exploring the town´s interesting museums or join optional excursions to see such iconic sites on Snæfellsnes Penninsula as the Lóndrangar basalt cliffs or black sand beaches of Djúpalónssandur.
Patreksfjördur - Patreksfjördur - Full Day
Patreksfjördur is a charming settlement on the west coast of Iceland with about 660 inhabitants. The picturesque fjord offers scenic hiking trails if conditions allow. Patreksfjördur is also close to the spectacular waterfall of Dynjandi and to Látrabjarg, a renowned site for birdwatching.
Northwest Iceland - Northwest Iceland - Exploration Day
Our experienced captain will plan a day exploring the stunningly beautiful fjords of northwest Iceland.
Conditions will determine the final program and activity for the day. We might visit a small settlement, take you on hikes, or launch our kayaks.
Northern Center - Akureyri - Full Day
Akureyri is a lively town, famous for its botanical gardens and pretty traffic lights. It is the most populous community outside Reykjavík, and the center of trade, culture and services in northern Iceland. Akureyri is close to many of Iceland’s renowned natural treasures, like Mývatn lake and Goðafoss waterfall.
Step Across the Arctic Circle - Grimsey Island - Full Day
We will use our tender boats to reach this green and grassy island. It is probably best known for its proximity to the Arctic Circle, which cuts across the island. You get the chance to step across the boundary between the far north and south.
Land of the Elves - Bakkagerdi - Full Day
Bakkagerdi is the main settlement in Borgarfjörður, an area known for its natural beauty and as “the land of the elves.” Puffin colonies abound in the fjord, making this a popular place for birdwatching. Bakkagerdi is off the typical tourist track, and offers peace, quiet and lovely views.
Iceland`s Pompeii - Heimaey - Full Day
Heimaey, or “Home Island” physically embraces our arrival. The harbor has a very narrow entrance, formed by a famous volcanic eruption in 1973. Most of the island has steep cliffs, is well-vegetated and provides a habitat for countless birds, including the charming puffin.
The End of the Adventure - Reykjavik - Full Day
Our voyage of discovery and adventure ends in Reykjavik. If you have the time, we recommend you stay a few extra days to explore this unique and fascinating Nordic city.